Monday, February 28, 2011

Fundraising Update


In my initial fundraising blog I posted that I would update you every few days on the fundraising. Well this time there's not much to report except my last week babysitting job brought the total to $258.27. I'm almost halfway to the $600 goal!

As you can see, these additional funds earned this bear a hat and a tattoo. (For those of you who are unaware, I decided not to do a thermometer to show the amount of funds raised, but rather to dress a random cartoon animal figure as more money comes in. Much more exciting, no?)

Thanks again to my generous supporters from last week:
Emily R
Emily L
Julie/Mel
Bonnie/Anson
Harold B

Once again, here's all of the info, including the link to donate:






(*3% of your online donation will go to PayPal by clicking on this link. Otherwise you can mail a check to 137 W 116th St, Apt 6, New York, NY 10026.)

Details:
  • Updates: new blog every couple days to post first names of givers and the updated total fundraised (email me if you don't want your first name listed.)
  • Goal: $600 (to be completely transparent, my costs are $30/day (I'll be doing the brigade for six days) and over $450 for the flight; if I raise any more than my goal (God willing!) the extra money will go in a check mailed to the clinic)
  • Deadline: April 1st, even though I will be volunteering March 11-17.

I appreciate your support!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FACTS ABOUT HONDURAS (from WorldVision): Today, the government of Honduras has implemented a national poverty reduction strategy to combat the 28 percent unemployment rate and to help the 51 percent of people who live below the poverty line. Education reform is a key element to this strategy, including the provision of school food for all children. Other goals of the strategic plan are debt relief, health-care reform, utilization of national resources, and international cooperation.

Despite reform efforts, the quality of healthcare is still in decline due to a scarcity of medicines, supplies, human resources, and facilities. One out of four Honduran children under five years of age suffers from chronic malnutrition. In some rural communities in the western area of the country, that total can reach 88 percent. Poor housing conditions (including hay roofs, dirt floors, and interior cooking fires) also contribute to ill health among thousands of families.

No comments:

Post a Comment